Communications Coordinator (Part Time)
Producers Direct is a dynamic, award-winning organisation led by farmers, for farmers that focuses on improving smallholder farmer livelihoods. We operate internationally with offices in London, Nairobi, and Lima. We are seeking a Communications Coordinator to support us in the communication of our work from across our network with stakeholders and audiences. This is an exciting opportunity to work with an ambitious international NGO during a period of rapid growth.
Job Title: Communications Coordinator (Part Time)
Reports to: Head of Information
Contract: 12-month, part time (3 days a week) fixed term employment contract, pending the completion of a successful 3 months probationary review period, with potential to extend the contract beyond its initial 12-months duration.
Contract Start Date: May 2021.
Location: Flexible (UK or Kenya)
Goal: To lead in the gathering and dissemination of high quality communications materials from across our network of 1 million + smallholder farmers.
We are looking for someone:
- Who is passionate about Producers Direct’s model and approach to empowering smallholder farmers: especially through storytelling
- Who is committed to developing shareable, understandable and appealing content accessible for a variety of audiences around the world
- Who is inspired to challenge traditional charity communications & messaging
- Who has excellent time management skills, and is able to work independently and with high initiative.
Specific tasks will include:
- Work with the Head of Information to develop and implement a communications strategy with clear objectives
- Manage Producers Direct social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), website and newsletter, and content calendar
- Liaising with Programme teams in to collect stories and communications materials from the field
- Communicating impact for key audiences particularly current and potential donors/ supporters/ partners
- Develop creative communications and campaigns using a variety of media, video and photography
- Work with partner organisations to deliver specific communications projects
- Organise and categorise Producers Direct communications assets
- Liaise with external blogs / publications to share Producers Direct success stories
- Monthly monitoring and reporting of online traffic and activity
Who are we looking for:
Our ideal candidate would demonstrate the following qualities and qualifications:
- Experience managing social media channels for a small charity / social enterprise (at least 2-5 years)
- Understanding of current debates and forums focussing on International Development, Agriculture and Technology as they relate to smallholder farmers
- Creative, innovative, and passionate about challenging traditional charity communications
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Comfortable working in a small team / start up environment
- Self-starter, flexible and able to work on tight deadlines
- Experience contributing to the production and design of creative communications and marketing products
Plus some or all of the following desirable qualities:
- Knowledge of how to get stories picked up industry related publications
- Creating campaigns with diverse audiences including farmers, partners, donors etc.
- Experience in marketing a social enterprise or products with a purpose
- Experience in participatory story-telling / photography / video methodologies for community-led communications / citizen journalism
- Undergraduate degree and/or relevant related experience
- Experience using WordPress
- Knowledge of social platforms’ terms and conditions
- Knowledge of Spanish or Swahili
What we can offer:
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Initial 12-month fixed term contract, pending the completion of a successful 3-month probationary review period, with scope for longer-term contract extension.
- Hands on experience and responsibility from day one
- The opportunity to make a real impact in a small, but ambitious organisation!
If this sounds like you:
Please send your CV, and a cover letter (1-page) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with email subject title: Application: Communications Coordinator
In your Cover Letter, please answer the following question in no more than one paragraph: We are planning an engagement campaign with young entrepreneurs across Kenya. How would you plan and deliver a campaign that would engage young people in our activities?
Application Deadline: Close of business on 26th April 2021.
Short-listed candidates should plan to be available for interviews 3 or 4 May 2021.
Please note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.